Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Day 4: On Live TV!

On day 4 of my challenge to make $30 worth of food stretch across 90 meals, I got to share about our She Has Hope human trafficking response programs on a live broadcast for a fantastic TV show called Real Beauty Real Women.

They're encouraging the fashion & entertainment world to be conscious of social justice issues. They themselves are walking the talk with their own foundation established to address domestic violence. The show is hosted by Houston's own Jacquelyn Aluotto, an award-winning documentary filmmaker.

I was happy for this chance to share our story! Here's the interview:



I'm so pleased to announce that we filled another heart on this challenge's "heart-chart" bringing us up to a total of $273 we can count on every single month to help fund our response to the human trafficking and orphan crises.

This is where the beauty of the math on smaller recurring donations really comes in to play: $273 over one year totals $3,276!

If all the hearts on this challenge's heart chart are filled, that will equal $1,775 in monthly support for our programs, or a total of $21,300 over a year! 

To put it in perspective, providing for one residential space at our She Has Hope girls home in India, home to many child labor trafficking survivors and other orphans, costs about $73/month.

If the heart-chart is filled by the end of this challenge, that will represent the provision of 24 safe spaces for child trafficking survivors and other orphans to find hope and safety from an otherwise very hopeless existence.

Here's where we are now. Would you like to fill a heart? Just tap on this chart and then on the next page choose the amount of the heart you want to sponsor, choose the day of the month you want your donation to be charged each month, enter your details, and you're done! 

Then tomorrow I will fill in your heart to represent the progress we're making!


I am dedicating Day 4 of the challenge to my little friends in the Katoogo slum colony of Kampala, Uganda. In my photos you can get a sense of the struggles in the colony, for cooking, shelter, and just basic existence in conditions of squalor.

In the midst of these scenes of desperation you will find the Peace Gospel Children's Hope Center School where our local director and his team are able to feed 170 students 3 basic meals each school day.

You'll see them in my photos with their cups awaiting porridge for breakfast.

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

A girl stands outside her shanty home where she and her mother are working on dinner. The rusted bucket is where they place the hot coals for a makeshift stove in the pot above. 



Children await their morning porridge at the Children's Hope Center School in Kampala, Uganda




On to my meals for Day 4. Really learning more and more how to make this work, but in doing this, you really get the sense of the struggle to be creative with such limited ingredients. Thanks to my girlfriend for the amazing idea to make our own flour tortillas. Not only did the 4 lbs. of flour at just $1.79 save me a lot of precious pennies, they taste so much better than the store-bought corn tortillas I've used in previous challenges.





Take Action!

1) Please consider helping me reach my goal to find 50 new "Sustainers"— donors willing to give a small amount each month toward our work helping vulnerable children and trafficking survivors. Go here and enter the amount you would like to give monthly!

2) Please visit my unofficial sponsor, Amazon.com through this link. 7% of your purchases made through the link are given to the work of Peace Gospel's programs helping orphans, at-risk children of the slums, and human trafficking survivors.



3) If you're compelled by my effort here, please share it with friends. One of the main goals is awareness. So if you can help with that, huge.

4) Leave me feedback. Please comment on this post, especially if you have any ideas about what I should try to cook with these ingredients I have available. I love hearing from you! It really helps!



No comments:

Post a Comment